Written by Chelsea Cooper-Picek, Youth Employment Counsellor
Every year, the Youth Employment Centre supports hundreds of City of Calgary Summer Students with their ongoing career and professional development.
Through workshops, events and one on one services, participants learn how to access and leverage resources both within and outside The City to support their professional growth and long-term career development.
Student participants of the program shared:
“Coming to these events was always so incredible. I now know how to transform my professional skills that I’ve been developing each and every day. I’m so glad for the support and resources.”
"My summer student experience was the best experience ever. I learned a lot of things. The Youth Employment Centre taught me how to do my resume and revealed talents that I didn't even know that I had. The future holds a lot from the experiences that I've learned from here. I know that I'm going to be a better version of myself."
We're here to help you throughout your post-secondary journey. Those between the ages of 15 and 24 can access personalized Youth Employment Centre support for:
- Professional resume development
- Application strategies
- Interview preparation
- Networking opportunities
- Ongoing career planning
As a post-secondary student, it's important to continuously develop your skills and gain valuable experiences to prepare for a successful transition into the workforce after graduation. Our employment counsellors are here to help you build confidence, strengthen your professional skills and successfully navigate your career journey.
Many of you are already thinking about securing an internship, summer placement or new role within your chosen field. In a highly competitive environment, it's essential to take proactive steps to strengthen your application. We're here to help you create stand out resumes. We can also help you develop critical networking skills and industry knowledge to better navigate today's job market with confidence.
"The Summer Student Series was an amazing experience. It's my second time going through at The City of Calgary, and this time I learned a lot of things that I just missed the first time.
The first time I learned about resumes, picking a part jobs, learning what to discern and how to market yourself, which was very important. This time coming back, I really strengthened those skills. But also, a big one that I don't think people talk about is networking and the impact that it has had.
Last summer, I’d never gone to a networking event before. And now, thanks to events like these, I was able to form a networking group with over 100 student members with weekly guest speakers. I've really been able to drive change. It's had a big impact on me, not just looking at jobs and securing future opportunities, but the networking aspect.
Working in The City of Calgary alone is an amazing experience. But the Youth Employment Centre is just going to open so many doors and avenues that you otherwise wouldn't have. It's an amazing resource. Because of the Youth Employment Centre and me getting out of my shell, it allowed me to speak more, seek out opportunities and to connect with people to help set up whatever job that I end up getting after graduation.”
Currently in post-secondary? Drop into the Youth Employment Centre to meet with one of our experts.
No appointment needed. Drop-in hours: calgary.ca/yec
Location: Alberta Trade Centre, 2nd floor, 315 10 Ave. SE, Calgary, Alberta, T2G 0W2
Contact us: 403-268-2490
.png)


